The rules and regulations for managing reserve lands are set out in the Indian Act. These rules provide direction on allotting lawful possession of reserve land to a First Nations person (Certificate of Possession), leasing reserve land to a non-band member or company (including a First Nation corporation) for business purposes, and/or providing land use rights to local or other governments for projects such as roads, power lines, or pipelines. The Indian Act also includes regulations for the sale of natural resources located on reserve, such as timber, sand or gravel.
Services Provided by LSIB
- Assistance with Land Transfer Documents
- Acts as a Liaison between Lands and Trust Services and the LSIB Member
- Provides documents and forms for land transactions
- Keeps up to date Lower Similkameen Land records
- Estate Planning
- Works with Capital Department to assist with housing and Capital