The Health and Wellness team in partnership with community has developed a five-year community health plan that has marked a proud moment to direct the vision and program priorities to our health and wellness department, as well as band administration, “Remember where you come from”. We know that community identifies chronic diseases and social issues in our community as a priority but the underlying solution from community is for us to integrate culture and language into our programs.
This vision challenges us to create programs that have language and culture as part of our everyday living which are liberating and enable the Smalqmix to shape and direct their own lives, to achieve the quality of life Smalqmix. At the heart of Smalqmix is the achievement of healthy families. This requires an approach that recognizes and builds on the integral strengths and assets of Smalqmix.
The health team has also worked hard at creating partnerships with internal departments and external agencies which has enhanced relationship with Interior Health Authority which has increased health services from the province which will support our contemporary health needs as identified by community.
A healthy and strong Smalqmix community.
To promote healthy living and financial independence for LSIB members.
We, the LSIB Health and Social Development Department, are guided by the following values. All our decisions and actions will demonstrate these values. We believe that putting our values into practice will create long-term benefits for LSIB and all our members we serve.
- In collaboration with the LSIB and broader community, increase the capacity and sustainability of the health department and enhance engagement/ownership of the health of the Smalqmix people.
- Develop and implement health programs that incorporate the traditions, values and strengths of the Smalqmix people.
- Increase access to services provided by the health department and other service providers to the increase health status of the community.
- Strengthen and further develop linkages with other agencies to enhance relationships and increase access to services.
There are 4 core services under the health and social program:
- Administration: Patient Travel, Finance, Compliance to Health Transfer Administration, and Information Technology
- Home and Community Care: Home Care Nursing, Home Support Program, Chronic Disease Program, and Language and Culture.
- Healthy Families: Communicable Disease Program, Pre and Post Natal, Men/Women’s Wellness and First Nations Headstart
- Wellness: Counselling Program, Child and Youth Prevention, Integrated Service Delivery, Income Assistance and Recreation